Saturday, May 29, 2010

News Stories of the Week

MARCH OF BLONDES

More than 800 blondes wove their way through the streets of Riga on Saturday for the second year of what organisers say they hope will become a regular annual event.
      Decked out in pink,their locks glistening in the sunshine,hundreds of blondes marched through the Latvian capital Riga in an effort to raise spirits in the financial stricken Baltic state.
   
"It is just great to do something positive in Latvia and at the same time promote blondes as being fun, positive, intelligent people," said Ilze, a blonde helping out at the parade.


   The Baltic nation of 2.2 million people is locked in the deepest economic crisis of the 27-nation European Union, after a boom went off the rails and sent its economy shrinking by 18 per cent in 2009.
   
  Money collected during the event will be donated to local charities, including for mothers with disabled children.

FAMOUS BLONDES
  Britney Spears on Japan "I've never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don't like eating fish. And I know that's very popular out there in Africa."

Jessica Simpson when offered buffalo wings: "Sorry I don't eat buffalo."


Jessica Simpson on her first day at high school: "A teacher asked us if anybody knew the names of the continents. I was sooo excited. I was like, Damn it! It's my first day of 7th grade, I'm in junior high and I know this answer. So I raised my hand, I was the first one, and I said A-E-I-O-U!

 Paris Hilton on her fame: "There's nobody in the world like me. I think every decade has an iconic blonde, like Marilyn Monroe or Princess Diana and, right now, I’m that icon."

 Mariah Carey on the death of the King of Jordan: "I loved Jordan. He was one of the greatest athletes of our time."
 Pamela Anderson on her secret to success: "I don't think about anything too much . . . If I think too much, it kind of freaks me out!"

   Alicia Silverstone on her role in Clueless: "I think that the film was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Goldie Hawn  
Buddhism is really, one of its main practices is understanding and experiencing compassion, and how that ultimately is a road to happiness

   Dennis Hopper 



  Hollywood actor Dennis Hopper, best known for directing and starring in the 1969 cult classic Easy Rider, died on Saturday from complications of prostate cancer, a friend of the actor said. Hopper was 74.
    In a wildly varied career spanning more than 50 years, Hopper appeared alongside his mentor James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause and Giant in the 1950s and played maniacs in such films as Apocalypse Now, Blue Velvet and Speed.


Easy Rider is Regarded as one of the greatest films of American cinema, it helped usher in a new era in which the old Hollywood guard was forced to cede power to young filmmakers such as Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. 
  
  The low-budget blockbuster, originally conceived by Fonda, introduced mainstream moviegoers to pot-smoking, cocaine-dealing, long-haired bikers.


Kayaker World Waterfall Record



Christie Glissmeyer, a student and part-time bar worker, gained the women's kayaking world waterfall record after making the leap of faith at Eagle Creek, Oregon.
World record paddle down Metalako Falls, an 82 ft waterfall in America.





Quote of the Week

Lady Gaga, asked if she would cut bad language from next show.     "I'll do my f***ing best."

























No comments: